Gobi

Gobi

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Stage 2 !

We got off earlier and the whole tent was rarin’ to go ! Howard was super keen. Charlie and I were referring to him as Wess (short for Western States 100). He reminded us of a kick- ass bearded trail running guru !
Another 40 or so kms today of rocky, hilly terrain. No super heat- but it was super beautiful ! The scenery was a mix of local culture, beautiful people (their cheeks were so rosey and healthy looking), incredible mountains and awesome valleys.
Pat was strong as usual and even though I was having an awesome time with Charlie and Kev I looked so forward to seeing him at the end of each stage.
Pat and I have had many crazy adventures together and this was one to add to the list ! Picture a dude with legs like tree trunks and the power to go with them. Crazy blonde hair is his trademark. That’s Pat !
Team ChungHwa/MAGO solidified our lead in the team category and we were in hot pursuit of the solo runners now !
We got in and cooked up our dehydrated food and got into the ‘camp groove’- visiting and eating!
Thankfully I didn’t have any blisters to treat, so I spent a lot of time stretching to loosen things up. I always do a long stretch after each stage. I find it really helps to recover for the next day.
Everybody in our tent was running strong and coming in looking in pretty good shape. Thierry and Howard were running close, and were both very strong every day. Jack and Becks always looked so clean when they came in. Amazing. I think about racing and I look filthy !
Rolf, the course designer had so far designed an incredible race course. Rumors about stage 3 milled about camp.
Stage 3 will be interesting !

No comments: